Wednesday, February 16

Unexpected Limbo

I've been going back and forth for the past couple of days about whether to post this or not. On the one hand, some of my readers (who would love to have an unexpected pregnancy) may feel pinched reading this, but on the other hand, I'm really scared and need some support. I had hoped to give my next pregnancy the benefit of beginning treatment at ovulation, but that didn't work out. In fact, it took me three days of feeling funny to realize what was going on. At first, I thought I was just under the weather and I'm honestly grateful for that. It means three less days of anxiety. At the same time, I wish I'd been more alert because it also means I started my pregnancy meds three days later.

Now I'm in the very difficult position of trying to deal with two conflicting realities. The first reality is that I am probably pregnant, at least for the moment. Now that I'm aware of it, I need to do everything I can to support this pregnancy, including taking some very unpleasant medications and getting lots of rest. I'll cheerfully submit to any discomfort to protect my baby, as I reminded myself last night after I shot myself up with enox.aparin (generic Love.nox) for the first time. (It wasn't as bad as I'd feared. It did sting like crazy at first, but that was gone in five minutes and I don't even have a bruise this morning, just a little red mark.)

The problem with reminding myself that the meds are for the baby is the second reality--I'm pregnant after loss. Because of my miscarriages, part of me wants to pull away, not let myself go there, not believe in this pregnancy just yet. I need to protect myself emotionally, just in case I have another miscarriage. Trying to both protect the baby's health and protect my heart creates a lot of internal pressure. Lawyer Mama described it really well in her Creme de la Creme post, here.

When I sense myself panicking, I try to remember that this pregnancy already has a much better chance than my previous two pregnancies, because of all the changes I've made since last May, and especially the things I've done over the past 2-3 months. I'm sure the progesterone and enox.aparin I just started are helping, too. I also try to keep myself busy and distracted as much of the time as I can, but my mind is like a hamster running on a wheel: it keeps coming back to pregnancy. If I stay pregnant, this will be my life for the foreseeable future. If not, immeasurable grief and pain await me. Neither choice is actually very appealing, but at least one has the hope of a reward at the end of it all . . . The worst of it is, it's out of my hands. I don't even get to decide.

To any of my readers who need to give yourselves space from pregnant people, I want you to know that I understand. It's okay if you don't have much to say or if you need to stop reading for a while. I understand about self-preservation. Do what you have to do, with my blessing. (I do hope I don't end up being annoying-pregnant, though. ;-)

To my other readers, especially if you're a lurker, I could really use some extra support right now. Please send calm thoughts and sticky baby vibes. TIA!

9 comments:

  1. That is great,congrats!!!! Did you have a positive home pregnancy test?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something that someone said to me once has stuck to me: I will never know if I can stay pregnant unless I try again. I don't know if that will help, but it helped me realize I have to at least try. So just take one day at a time. Today, you are pregnant. Today, you have hope, not grief (for this pregnancy, anyway).

    Sending you positive thoughts! And if you ever need to talk more deeply about your anxiety, know that you have someone who will listen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hun, a quiet congratulations to you. Sending you sticky vibes and positive thoughts. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow - you're pregnant! First, congrats! Try to celebrate this moment a little. And second, I understand the fear. I'm petrified of getting pregnant, even as I'm doing everything I can to do so. Hang in there, one day at a time. Every day, talk to that little one as you take your Lovenox, knowing you're doing everything you can to keep that little one inside you growing and thriving. And I will be here with you every step of the way. Sending you a hug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Sending you many positive vibes! Take it one day at a time. That's my best suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! It must be terribly scary, but I am excited for you! I hope that you're able to find some calm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I totally understand your fear...I feel the same way everyday. But take comfort in knowing that you are doing everything you can for this little one. Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS! Praying that this is 'the one,' and sending lots of good vibes! <3

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!