Tuesday, September 21

Drawing Lines

First, welcome to ICLW. This is my first time participating. I was going to write a boring post introducing myself, but then, in looking at other ICLW blogs, I found two posts on how lines form within the IF community. You can read them here & here. So instead of just a time-line, I'm going to weave my story in with my thoughts about drawing lines.

For the past few months, I have felt indescribably alone. I have thought that no-one could possibly understand, because no-one's experience is exactly like mine. I conceive super easily. Which is turning out to be more curse than blessing, because it means that if we don't want to risk another miscarriage, we have to actively avoid pregnancy until we can find some treatment that will lower the risk of miscarriage. My miscarriages occurred before I got a BFP, which doesn't make sense to me. How could my hormone levels be high enough to produce unmistakable pregnancy symptoms, but too low to show up on an HPT? Someone explain that!

So now I wonder where I belong. I sort of belong with the babyloss mama's, but not really. Most of them had later losses. I sort of belong with the IFers, but not really, most of them had to try really hard to even get pregnant in the first place. Although we all experience many of the same emotions, I have been looking at the differences in our situation and drawing a line around myself, saying, "because no-one is just like me, I must be alone." But the two posts I read today made me realize that I don't have to be alone. I'm isolating myself. And I have the option of opening up to feel the support and love that is there. So I'm going to try to be more accepting of those who offer me support. I'm also going to try to be more compassionate and less judgmental and to look beyond our differences to what we all share in common--the desire to be mothers and the pain of lost dreams.

9 comments:

  1. It's so true that we do draw lines between each other and around ourselves, and that it seems almost impossible that someone else could understand the feelings we're having. But I think it's a great idea to try to open up to the idea that just because no one has been in our exact situation, it doesn't mean they haven't felt the pain, or they haven't felt the fear, or they haven't felt the hopelessness. We really are in it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting my blog and I am so sorry to read you have been feeling so alone. Infertility is incredibly lonely in whatever shape or form that takes. Whether we are struggling to even concieve or whether we are struggling to hold onto a pregnancy, we are all struggling toward the same goal - motherhood. I think it's great that you have come to realise that you are perhaps drawing invisible lines around yourself and I want to embrace you into the IF community and send massive hugs in your direction. We are all in this together! xox

    ICLW#12

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, welcome to ICLW! I was intrigued by what you said about your cause of IF, because I have the exact same problem! It was so frustrating because my normal OB/GYN blew me off. I went to an RE, and it was nice to have someone take me seriously. It turns out that I inherited a chromosome mutation. So, my DH and I can conceive really easily, but our babies don't have the right chromosomal material to survive. You might want to consider asking your doctor about doing a chromosome karyotyping...the genetic counselor we met with said that it is actually more common of a problem than people realize. It was kind of a battle, but we were able to get our insurance to pay for the test, and it was totally worth it. GL in whatever you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I LOVE your blog's title. I totally felt that way after my ectopic but never found the words. I feel like, reading those words together, a who time in my life feels more settled. It's hard to explain...

    I also wanted to say that I totally know how you feel. I've written similar posts, about feeling like I didn't really belong in the IF/pregnancy loss blog community because I "only" tried naturally for a year and I "only" suffered one ectopic pregnancy. I genuinely felt, and sometimes still feel, like I was hanging out with a group of people who didn't really want me around, who didn't feel like I belonged at all. While I think there are some feelings out there that support those beliefs, most of that was in my own head. You're right that we can isolate ourselves and there is no point in that.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I wondered if you've though about getting a necklace or bracelet with two charms to give you a tangible way to relate to them throughout the day. I got a pearl necklace to represent my lost baby and I wore it everyday for over a year. I still touch it every day as I get dressed and have a quite moment with that little one. I know of lost of other "invisible moms" who have similar things.

    Thank you again for writing this post. It is very much appreciated.

    Esperanza (ICLW #95) @ esperanzasays.wordpress.com

    PS - I'm having a book giveaway this Friday. The book that got me through pregnancy loss is really wonderful. I think you'd find it really helpful. If you want to look into it, there's info on all my posts this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read those posts as well and they got me to thinking. I never ended up seeing an RE or needing ART because I got pregnant with the help of meds and just my OBGYN. I was under (just barely) a year too when we finally got our sticky BFP that I'm carrying right now. I feel like I don't fit in the fertile community because I needed help but I don't fit in the IF community because it was so "easy".

    ICLW #115
    http://lovelyladybump.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to ICLW and thank you for visiting my blog. I'm sorry for the pain you are experiencing. As you can see, when you open up, you find out that you're not as alone as you thought (Browniris seems to have similar issues). I would encourage you to get an auto-immune blood panel done (you and your DH) so see if there's an underlying issue that hasn't been looked at yet. Happy to discuss or direct you to sources.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to ICLW - it's my first time participating as well. I hope that you find support through this community. For me it's been such an eye-opener to read about all these womens' struggles. All the best!

    ICLW #75

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to ICLW - I'm wishing you luck and hoping there's a BFP at the end of this journey for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you're posting and getting support. Take care of yourself and prepare for the community's embrace. I agree with an earlier poster--great blog title.

    -lady pumpkin
    ICLW #26

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!