Sunday, September 25

Inadvertant Advocacy

I'm not generally one to go out and do advocacy stuff, or even much awareness raising stuff. Especially not IRL. In fact, I try not to even make small talk with strangers.

But, yesterday, I was in a good mood, so when the bagger made a comment about my insulated bag for my meat, I went ahead and got into a conversation about eating meat vs. being vegetarian. When I mentioned how I had to switch to a low glycemic index diet because of my insulin resistance, the girl ringing up my stuff got interested. Especially when I mentioned how I found out because we were trying to have a baby, and the IR was effecting my hormones. Turned out she has a family history of type 2 diabetes, and she asked how she could find out if being vegetarian is affecting her. I told her any doctor should be able to order an insulin test, and that was about it.

It wasn't until I got back to the car that I remembered that it's PCOS awareness month. I never used the word PCOS, because I find it easier to just say I have insulin resistance, which effects my hormones, but maybe, because of what I said, that girl will find out more about one of the major aspects of PCOS-related infertility--insulin resistance. So I guess you could say I did a little advocacy. Or at least maybe raised a little awareness. It was easy and felt good, probably because it came up as a natural part of the conversation. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Well done! It's always a nice feeling when you've helped someone else out.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!