Sunday, February 20

The Difference Between Dr. R and Dr. S.

I heard back from Dr. R. about my hcg levels. It was just a short e-mail, and the news was effectively the same as what Dr. S told me on Friday, but Dr. R. was much more respectful of my self-knowledge and showed great consideration for my feelings right now.

My hcg level was less than 2, which, Dr. R. thinks is essentially zero in terms of accuracy. He would have suggested rechecking if it was a little higher, but not at this level. He ended by saying that a brief pregnancy and early miscarriage were still very possible and acknowledging the frustrations of going through that experience.

Although his e-mails are always brief, what comes across is that he really cares about me and my unique situation. He never acts as if he thinks my questions and requests are a challenge to his authority. He also usually has good reasons behind his advice, and tells me what they are. For all those reasons, I trust his judgment much more than I would if he was unwilling to explain himself. Also, during my first consultation he recognized that I know my body well, and he has never needed more than my description of my symptoms to believe that my brief pregnancies were real.

So the upshot is, I'm not pregnant anymore, although I probably was. It's time to stop the meds and let nature take its course. Thanks to everyone who read my last post, and to the brave three who commented. I appreciate knowing that others have walked similar roads with early miscarriages and/or frustrating doctors. I'm over my temper tantrum now, too. Writing it out really did help.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got an answer, but I'm sorry it had to be that one. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so very sorry you've had to go through all this rollercoaster and drama with your docs. Sending you a hug...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, hun, I wish things had gone differently. I hope your sticky baby is just around the corner. Take care of yourself these next few days <333

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your HCG results, and that you had such a frustrating experience with Dr. S. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so so sorry. Huge hugs to you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, too. But I am glad that you finally got to talk with a Doctor that listened and acknowledged the frustration. That can make all the difference in the world. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!