Thursday, November 24

Today's "Feast"

The Mister and I had a very quiet day at home today, with just the two of us, but we did make some festive food. :-)

Instead of roasting a turkey, I made these Chicken Fingers again. They were just as yummy as I remembered from two months ago. Even though they were a big hit, they are a bit time consuming, plus boneless skinless breast is more expensive than whole chickens (which I usually get and just roast). So they are a treat-food for us.


We also made roast sweet potatoes using this recipe. They were delicious! And, they didn't make me sleepy, which is a good indicator that their GI wasn't too high for me! So they will probably become a more regular item on our diet in the future. I followed the recipe fairly closely, the only major changes being I skipped the optional parsley as I didn't have any on hand, I used dairy-free parmesan, and I only cooked them for about 25-30 minutes before turning the oven down to warm while I prepared the rest of the meal. Here are some pics of the process:

Fresh out of the oven.
With parmesan and rosemary sprinkled on top.
Parmesan and rosemary mixed in.
Finally, we had a cranberry chutney that I was experimenting with. I skipped the sugar to keep it Low GI, but I really should have added something else. Perhaps I'll put some stevia in the rest before I use it up. Also, I wish I'd quadrupled the ginger. I expect a chutney to be much spicier than this came out. Oh, well, live and learn. I love cranberry relish and cranberry sauce, so now I just need to figure out a Low GI version that I like, and I expect the process will take some trial and error . . . It did look beautiful, though.


And here is the whole meal, plated and ready to eat!


It was a delicious and festive, if non-traditional, holiday meal. And it took less than two hours to prepare!

2 comments:

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!