Saturday, March 5

WTF Appointment* with Dr. R.

The Mister and I saw Dr. R. on Thursday. I don't know how to describe it; there are so many complicated feelings mixed up in the whole experience, and I'm still processing most of them. So I'll just list the things that Dr. R. told us and the tests he suggested:
  • It is very probable that I experienced a brief pregnancy. In Dr. R's experience, many women have reliable pregnancy symptoms during the 2WW and before blood or urine tests turn positive.
  • The likelihood that this miscarriage was due to me starting the meds at 11dpo instead of 1dpo is very low.
  • Immune problems are the most likely cause.
    • Tests for APA pannel, NK assay, & TH-1/TH-2 Cytokine Ratio ordered.
  • Additional tests ordered:
    • Thyroid Panel for me.
    • Keryotyping for The Mister to check for balanced translocation in his genes.
  • Treatment changes:
    • Me: 
      • Increase metformin to 1500/day.
      • Increase exercise to at least 30 min 5x/week.
      • Increase protein in diet.
    • The Mister & Me:
      • Short course antibiotics in case asymptomatic infection is causing problems.
  • Further hormone testing/SA for The Mister deemed unnecessary. Dr. R. diagnoses hormonal problems through clinical symptoms instead of blood tests, and hormonal test results would not change treatment. He assumes that if I'm getting pregnant The Mister's swimmers are fine.
Like I said, I'm still trying to process Dr. R.'s suggestions. I wasn't expecting him to push for immune testing until we had actively tried to get pregnant and started the pregnancy meds at ovulation for optimum timing. In fact, I thought I was going to have to ask for my NK cells to be tested. He's ordering the immune testing himself and not sending me to an immunology clinic, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Now I just have to figure out how to explain to Ms. Bird why I didn't insist on all those hormone tests she thought would be a good idea . . . I wish she could talk to Dr. R. directly about this. He is so convincing and his logic makes so much sense to me, but I can never explain in properly, myself (although I tried above). Ms. Bird really likes to see blood test numbers for hormones, instead of just looking at clinical symptoms. Very frustrating.

With all this heavy stuff going on, I've decided to try going to a RESOLVE meeting this weekend. I'm both excited and nervous about it. 

*I know that term is usually used for consults after a failed IVF, but this consult was similar in that we wanted to know might have gone wrong and how to proceed.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like Dr. R validated your brief pregnancy. He ordered a bunch of tests to know what happened and what could be done. Although, I know it's a lot to take in and consider. I'm overwhelmed just reading your list. I could imagine it would take a lot of coordinating and reconciling info with both Dr. R and Ms. Bird to get some progress going. I'm hoping for the best for you. Goodluck! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that your doctor listened to you and seems to be so proactive. Have you had the karotyping testing done on yourself? Hopefully you will start to see some changes/success soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Browniris, Yes, I've had a Keryotyping done--it was normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are going to a RESOLVE meeting. And hoping you get some answers soon. It's always anxiety-provoking to be in the middle of two health professionals who are pushing different things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get some answers soon - interested to hear what the results are for this testing!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!