Tuesday, October 25

GF, DF, Low GI Crackers

Yes, really. Entirely gluten- and dairy-free and low on the glycemic index. And they are crunchy crackers (unlike some of the softer results of other home cracker experiments. The recipe comes from the wonderful Elana's Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook*.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed a bit
2 tsp dried thyme
2 TBS grapeseed oil
2 large eggs
Salt for sprinkling on top

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut sheets of parchment paper the size of your baking sheets. You will need one sheet for each batch of crackers plus one more. For example--if you have large baking sheets you can bake this recipe in two batches, so cut 3 sheets. If you have small baking sheets like me, you'll need more 5 or 6, depending on whether your baking sheets are the same size or not. Don't worry, it will make sense later. :-)













Combine dry ingredients. Break up clumps in the almond flour:



Whisk together the grapeseed oil and eggs:



Stir the wet ingredients into the almod flour mixture until thoroughly combined. [This is where I got so excited about actually making the crackers that I forgot to take pictures for a while--sorry!] The result will be very thick, and might need some kneading action to get the ingredients thoroughly distributed.

Divide the dough into pieces. I have small baking sheets, so I used 4 pieces, but with larger baking sheets you could get away with 2. Place 1 piece of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll to 1/16th-inch thickness. It helps to shape the dough like the shape of the baking sheet/parchment paper, and to roll really slowly, turning the parchment paper around to different angles to get it as even as possible. If it's uneven, the crackers will burn in places.

Remove the top piece of parchment paper and transfer the bottom piece of parchment paper with the rolled out dough onto a baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining piece(s) of dough. Cut the dough into whatever size squares you want with a knife or pizza cutter. If you are using the same baking sheet for more than one batch of crackers, get the first batch in the oven before you start rolling out the second batch, to save time.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Set your timer for 12 minutes, check the crackers, and then set your timer for 1 minute intervals, to avoid burning. Especially if you are re-using hot baking sheets, the second batch will burn sooner than the first batch did. Even if they are a little over-browned, though, they still taste really good.

Let the crackers cool. The book says 30 minutes, but who can wait that long? Just don't seal them into air-tight containers for storage until they are room temperature, otherwise, there will be condensation problems as they continue to cool.





Enjoy!

*Disclaimer: I'm not getting paid to review these recipes, and I have no affiliation with the author. I am just someone who is very thrilled to finally be able to make baked goods again that are both gluten- and dairy-free, and also very low on the glycemic index. I've missed my baked treats!

1 comment:

  1. Those look tasty! I've never made crackers before, and it looks pretty easy. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!