Saturday, October 22

Opinions Wanted*

Okay, so I want your opinions on two things.

One: Flu Shots--what do you think of them? Do they work? Have you every had a bad reaction to one? What kind of reaction? Have you ever come down with the flu in spite of getting the flu shot? How long after getting the shot did you get sick?

I've never bothered with flu shots, but this year, I'm seriously considering one, mostly because I'll be traveling, then taking Hum.ira, all during the flu season. And one last question, if I get the flu shot, does it matter whether The Mister gets one, too, or not?

Two: Thrombophilia (blood clotting) Treatment--I'm homo for the C mutation of MTHFR and for Factor XIII and hetero for PAI-1 4G. I'm currently on one fol.gard/day and baby aspirin for the MTHFR. I'll be on Love.nox during my conception cycle, with a dosage increase once I get a BFP, but Dr. I says I only need to continue it through week 12 (this is a two week increase over Dr. R's recommendation of 10 weeks). Ms. Bird, my acupuncturist, says this is the usual treatment plan for her MTHFR patients, and none of them have had serious complications with that protocol. I expressed concern about not staying on the Love.nox to Dr. I and he said my clotting factors are "minor" and only cause first trimester problems. However, he also said that my homocystine is borderline high, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't at least be taking more folic acid in some form. He didn't actually recommend taking more folic acid now, just watching my homocystine throughout my life, esp. when I'm not TTC and therefore not taking fo.lgard.

What do you think? should I push for taking two folg.ard/day, being on a prenatal like Neevo, and/or Love.nox throughout my pregnancy? It seems like there are so many different opinions of the best way to treat these lesser known clotting factors. On the one hand, I don't want to fight with my doctors, but on the other hand, I don't want to take any risks with my baby's life. Gah!

*I asked for them, so I promise not to complain if I don't like what you tell me!

6 comments:

  1. I always get a flu shot. With Humira, definitely take it before, because they want you to wait 1 month after your last Humira shot before getting the vaccination. If you get it, it doesn't matter if The Mister gets his, but I'm pro flu shot anyway. :)

    Even if you don't normally get a flu shot, they are highly recommended for women who are pregnant or expect to get pregnant during flu season, because of the consequences of having the flu while pregnant (bad for you and worse for baby).

    I am compound heterozygous for MTHFR, and my RE will have me on Lovenox through the first trimester, starting with transfer. I'm also on Folgard (2x/day), and a prenatal, and baby aspirin. Your doctor's recommendations seem sound to me - doubling the Folgard wouldn't hurt, and if it makes you feel better, it's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally, I don't get the flu shot. However, since you will be traveling, it might be worth it. I know this year I probably will get it since I know I'll be traveling during the holidays. McRuger always gets the flu shot and honestly, I think it's a cr@p-shoot if it works or not.

    I have no advice about the other stuff, but you need to do what makes you feel comfortable with your treatment.

    (((HUGS))) as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't believe in flu shots before and never got them but when TTC, I did. I was fortunate to never have any kind of reaction.

    Interesting about clotting disorders. My hematologist told me that with MTHFR, unless your homocysteine levels are elevated, you don't need treatment. My MFM dr and my RE told me too that recent studies have shown that Loven.ox injections make no difference when it comes to pregnancy outcome for women with clotting disorders. The different RE that I saw at Sher told me that it would only be needed through week ten or so because it was only an implantation issue.

    I pushed to stay on Loveno.x though for the duration of my pregnancy. There's so much conflicting information but it can't hurt, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As someone who has been seriously, seriously ill (think hospital, IV fluids) with the flu, I urge you to get the flu shot. (Keep in mind people die, including miscarriages from the flu but not the shot.) I've had it every year for the past 10 years or so. One year I did get the flu regardless. The problem is they can only fit 3 flu viruses in the shot and they change each year. So, you could potentially get a strain not in the shot. That's what happened to me that year. I was out for 10 days and needed IV fluids. But I still got my shot the next year. Why? I am still safer with it than without it.

    I work with the public, and people with low immune system and this year it's mandatory at work and I am grateful. Also, I have allergy/ sinus issues which put me at increased risk of flu. I've had the flu 5 times in my life (horrible, flu virus A, you DO NOT want it. It's bad.)

    Keep in mind you CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT despite any media hype you might see- get the flu from a flu shot. That is bogus. It's a dead virus. It can't happen. (You could theoretically get it from the flu spray I guess, which is a a virus.)

    I have never had a reaction from the flu shot. My husband is a nurse who gives flu shots to children who have deadly diseases and he has never heard of a bad reaction to a flu shot either. Read over the warning signs and make sure you don't have them. (Epstein Barr, allergy to eggs, already sick to name a few.)

    Sorry, I feel strongly about the flu shot when I see it save people's lives! :) I got mine last week- no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get a flu shot every year, mostly for peace of mind. I don't know that they work, but I do know I would kick myself if I didn't get one, then got sick, because that's how I roll: lame and guilt-ridden ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello from ICLWland! I also always get my flu shot, and have never had any kind of adverse reactions, and I haven't had the flu since I started getting the shot. I highly recommend!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation--I'd love to hear from you!